This section is held for 32-41min (depends on questions in the exam) and the item types it include are:
- Multiple-choice, choose single answer
- Multiple-choice, choose multiple answers
- Re-order paragraphs
- Reading: Fill in the blanks
- Reading & Writing: Fill in the blanks
Tips for Multiple-choice, single and multiple answers:
- Focus on keywords in question and search in the text and then look for options.
- Most of the time, pay close attention to the frequency words (always, often, sometimes, never many, all, never, only.. etc) eliminate those options and find the correct answer.
Ex: According to the text, which of the following are true of English attitudes towards intellectuals?
- They never join forces with those in authority.
- Most people would not be able to name an intellectual.
- In general, the English do not admire respect intellectuals.
- Even some English intellectuals do not like to be called intellectuals.
- They are not clear about what an intellectual is or does.
Note: It is not applicable always, Use this trick only when the time is not sufficient to answer.
- Look for main reason/text and concentrate on repeated words to find the correct answer.
- Negative marking is applicable for multiple answers.
- Time manage max 90sec each question in single answer type and max 2min for each question in multiple answers.
Tips for Re-order Paragraphs:
- Look at the Proper Nouns-Common nouns-Pronoun-Articles Usage-Time Phrases(depends) order to form the sentences.
- Consider the clue words
ex: a) The king…….
b) ……….. King Rama………
The order here it comes is, b-a. Because in the sentence 'a' it says Kings follows…. but in sentence 'b' it introduces about the king name.
- Frame the order of sentences using the Nouns, Pronouns, Adjectives, Repeated words, Time phrases, etc…
- Concentrate on pronouns he, she, him, her, they, them, these, those, etc.. these sentences will never come in first.
- Repeated words – the hint here is, most of the time word one sentences if the same word in other sentences come in an order.
- Adjectives – the hint here is, ex: better comes after good. so first is good-better.
- Time planning – try to answer the question within 4min.
Tips for Fill in the Blanks:
- Concentrate on parts of speech before and after the blank, it helps in finding the missing word.
- Select the word, which is mostly collocated with words beside it.
- Skim for the main idea of the text.
- Most of the time, missing word synonym will be in the text, it helps in finding the answer.
- Time manage – 2min for each question approx.
Note: The item types may not be in the same order in exam.